With Microsoft getting rid of Windows 7, it means the operating system is no longer safe to use. This is because the tech giant won’t provide any new updates for Windows 7, which means that your machine won’t be protected against any new threats. We know the operating system was very popular, but it might be time to upgrade to Windows 10 or even Windows 11.
Of course, upgrading to a new operating system can be pricey, right? This is especially true for businesses with numerous devices to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. You’ll be happy to know that there’s still a way to install Windows 10 for free, and legally. Read on to find out about how to get your hands on the upgrade.
Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and Windows 8 for free
- SEE MORE Microsoft’s big bet on Windows 8
- SEE MORE Windows 7: When to upgrade
- SEE MORE Windows 10: Microsoft’s plan to win over the enterprise
In 2016, Microsoft ended the programme where you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. However, the tech giant has left a backdoor upgrade available. You do need to ensure that you have an authentic version of Windows 7 or 8 installed on your device in order to carry out the update.
Apart from having one of those operating systems installed, the rest of the process is fairly simple.
- Head to the Windows 10 download page
- Click on the “Download tool now” button to download the required media creation tool
- When the download completes, click on the file to open it and accept the terms
- Select “Upgrade this PC now” and click “Next”
- Select “Keep personal files and apps”
- Click “Install” and wait… and wait… and wait… as your computer shuts down and restarts multiple times
- Once the installation process is complete, open Settings > Windows Update > Activation and activate your Windows 10 license or enter your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key if you have never activated your old Windows OS.
As you can see, the process was fairly simple and straightforward. Bear in mind that Windows could one day terminate this backdoor upgrade, so now is the time to follow the steps above if you’ve been procrastinating. Although your device might be down and out for a few hours, the good news is that you can enjoy updated security and all the great features of your new operating system.